the drift

...

Thursday, September 18, 2008

the rubik's cube of the Church's political/apolitical leanings

So, once again, I find myself grappling with being a Democrat in every way except the abortion issue. But, let me clarify here: "I would like women to not have abortions". Which, is a completely separate sentiment from "I would like to see Roe v. Wade overturned." Exhibit A is a clear moral statement. Exhibit B is a misunderstanding of the role of government in society.
So, this letter from the area bishops leaves me cold, confused and misunderstood. It's like high school all over again.
This statement from the Pope (before he was papa) leaves a lot open for interpretation, in my opinion. And Naumann seems to be overlooking the nuances there. FYI, I think he lacks imagination. I far prefered Keleher. For those of you, who know what the hell I'm talking about --- anyway.
When a Catholic does not share a candidate's stand in favor of abortion and/or euthanasia, but votes for that candidate for other reasons, it is considered remote material cooperation, which can be permitted in the presence of proportionate reasons.
They go to say:
""Could a Catholic in good conscience vote for a candidate who supports legalized abortion when there is a choice of another candidate who does not support abortion or any other intrinsically evil policy?" But the bishops say they cannot conceive of a reason that could possibly outweigh the evil of abortion: "What could possibly be a proportionate reason for the more than 45 million children killed by abortion in the past 35 years?""
Hmm. Proportionately. Are we talking numbers here, Fathers? Sure, if you think the life of a gestating baby is proportionate to a breathing walking talking laughing crying hugging baby, then yes, I follow you. But, here's my problem. If McCain supported bombing the shite out of London because we think some terrorists are there, would it be proportionate? I detest the race card, I do, but I guarantee you folks, little innocent blond children and their english-speaking selves, well, we'd be able to shake out all of these nuanced proportions the bishops ta,lk about.
I'm sorry, guys, but don't you dare call me a mutherfucking 'Cafeteria Catholic' because I don't give my vote to people who are wink-wink nudge-nudge Pro-Lifers (check the largest donors of the Republican party, they don't stand where you think they stand -- it's branding, is all). I often feel like I'm the only one in Church on Sundays thinking about poor people, not a block away, but a world away. Thinking about the death penalty and the fact that there is no bigger anti-capital punishment story in the history of man than the one that's told in the New Testament. The Church is clear on these issues...why aren't my fellow Catholic voters?
I start to feel less alone the more I search outside my community. I see the catholic democrats web site, hear a nun do the convocation at the DNC... those are encouraging things.
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/sep/08091604.html

2 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, September 18, 2008 , Blogger B. said...

I think there are several proportionate reasons...though I wish I was sitting the 'Dotte crib talking about it. Poverty - health care - war - criminal justice system and so on.

 
At 12:23 AM, September 19, 2008 , Blogger Spyder said...

I'm a catholic& a liberal democrat! I'm voting for Obama. I believe he is more aware & in touch with the poor, and the middle class, who need help. Why are republicans anti-abortion but pro-death penalty? Why are the rich getting richer & us getting poorer? How about some health care? My friend who got fired has none now. And emotional issues that require meds. Yes, I'm voting for Obama. And I bet my Jesuit priest friends are too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home