the drift

...

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

hillary makes me cry for a change

Well, everything's been making me cry lately and I've gotten quite the penchant for ingesting pop culture morsels dripping with hopelessness. Watching extremely depressing documentaries on the Doc channel, reading the most depressing magazine articles, and listening to npr.
That last one did me in this morning when I was listening to a New Hampshire woman and Episcopal priest (i.e. one of the masses of women who helped Hillary Clinton win the dem primary there) talk about how she came to her decision. After hopping around between the dem noms throughout the past few weeks she came to the realization that she'd be happy with any of them. Then her daughter who lives out of state called and reminded her of an exchange they had when the daughter was young. She said, in a moment of teenage rebellion, "No one's ever going to call ME a feminist." And her mom's simple and quiet response was, "That's so ungrateful." After this, the mom decided that she would not be a part of the history of this country that refuses powerful, accomplished women their due recognition and her vote would go to Hillary Clinton.
A tear came to my eye as I imagined the same conversation with my own daughter in 18 years. I was once that ungrateful precocious daughter of post-feminist America. The years have taught me how much we owe our forebears and each other. Hillary isn't my choice candidate. I think she's kind of shady, but she knows how to get things done, and since Edwards isn't likely to stage a comeback of any consequence in this race, I'll stand with her. And hope for a bellwether victory.

1 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, January 20, 2008 , Blogger B. said...

Yeah, thinking of Edwards not making that comeback brings a tear to my eye. Look who we're left with...I'll probably side with Obama. But, I do question what the hell the difference is...neither one will be willing or ready to make a stand on anything of importance.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home