the drift

...

Monday, February 11, 2008

Learn to jog defensively

actually, i think i may be being rather generous in calling this dude a jogger. He was clearly not in marathon shape and was hardly at a full sprint when I pulled my car across the crosswalk in his way.
He yelled -- WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! and held his goose-skinned arms out and kind of shimmied his bare, white, hairy belly in response to my driving faux pas. In fact, I believe this motion is what actually caught my attention, not the Whoa's. (See Figure A.)
I'm not pleading total innocence here. I was driving a bit hapharzardly; sure I should've glanced to my right. But come on, I was pulling out on to Main in the Crown Center area by Union Station. How many joggers do we get in that area in FEBRUARY? AND I very pulled out slowly and I know this because I DID see the pedestrian to my left who I was careful to attempt to give right of way to, but he rebuffed me by coming to a full stop.
Seriously, in a real city, this near miss would've been easily avoided by a quick jog to the left and behind my bumper.
So in other words this guy was just a non-city dwelling johnny-come-lately, unseasonably-warm-in-February-jogging amateur whose life expectancy I worry about should he not learn to dodge a too-eager car in a crosswalk. And, hey, stop jogging in the gutter and use the sidewalk like normal people.

1 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, February 15, 2008 , Blogger shan said...

Why does the dude in your drawing look like me?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home