the drift

...

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

what matters or doesn't, i suppose.

one of my four brothers has an unfortunate persecution complex that, at the ripe age of 28, causes him to work a job for about a year then for some particular reason, on some particular day, he up and quits on the spot.His explanations usually revolve around claims that his co-workers and/or the clients he serves are talking down to him, or talking behind his back, not giving him his due and generally being dicks. I'm not sure at what exact age I came to the realization that I'm not only getting paid to do a job but also to put up with shitheads that no one else would ever hire. I think that was probably sometime in my first job after college working for a pit full of day traders (I still carry a grudge for the finance douches of the world). I mean there's an asshole tax built into everyone's salary, isn't there?But here on the verge of simultaneously quitting my living wage/shitting my proverbial pants, I'm left to wonder what kind of message I want to send to my children? When I tell my brother that he needs to suck it up and learn how to deal with the crappy co-workers of the world, do I really mean that? (Update: My boss has actually thrown out a semi-serious offer to get me to come back from maternity leave. Damn if I don't have the most obvious achille's heel.)
If you have to deal with assholes no matter where you go in life, isn't there a way to do it with a little more dignity? Maybe in a forum where you can actually affect some social change? Aren't we designed for something better than scrapping for your mindless job, or fighting for the breadcrumbs that trickle down from the top? This is why I'm determined to stop letting meglomaniacs ruin institutions like the school board, or the city council, or the mayor's office. I'm determined to take my babies with me to city council meetings, to actually speak at a schoool board meeting -- that's what really matters right?

1 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, January 29, 2008 , Blogger B. said...

You are correct, you are correct...I'd run for the school board...if i had kids. I do plan on being on a city council at some point in my life...I've wanted to do that for a long time. Now I think I'll have the time to do other things like that.

As for the assholes deal...yes, it's built into my salary...working with, for, supervising them and helping them get what they need...I get it from all angles.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home